Friday 10 April 2009

Easter celebrations, public declarations

It's Good Friday today. The day we remember the lead up to Jesus' death and how his followers were left wondering and in mourning for the loss of the Saviour. Jesus said his part, was sent to Herod and stood silent, then was returned, found innocent again, then convicted by the people and took up the cross for all those that had him nailed there.

The Service at St. Jude's was good. Each reading from Luke had a speech in between about how easily Jesus could have avoided death and how “silly” he was in acting the way he did, by bringing it all on himself. “Silly” in saving humanity by paying the price none of us can afford. Paying it out of love. God's own son.

Throughout the service, an artist painted a scene of Jesus being paraded through the streets, starting with bare-bone charcoal sketches and finishing at the end of the service with a completed, sombre piece of artwork. The scene was left on display for the second service (the family service) and acted as a good focus of contemplation.

My family arrives Saturday morning and we will all head up to visit my girlfriend and help her celebrate. She's getting baptised and confirmed! I'm so happy that she's chosen to make this public declaration of her faith in Christ Jesus. And on Easter Sunday! We're going to have a great time and my family will get to see her in her new surroundings as doctor of a rural hospital. I can't say enough how happy I am that she's found a community to call her own; a community where she fits in, all too easily.

My beautiful girl. I love you so very much. Thank you for sharing your life with me and letting me share mine with you.

My beautiful Saviour, the only son of God. You came into the world to redeem. I love you and want to live my life for you. Help me to shed my broken, spiteful ways and - with each day - grow in faith and love.

Thank you that you paid the price and won the victory,

TheSovietChairman

No comments:

Post a Comment