Sunday 6 June 2010

What she said and Jesus is our true rest

What she said...

"...I'm left with no choice but to make my own decisions... Like this one, I suppose, which I am in so much trouble for, but do not regret one notch. I love him, he loves me, he is always going to be mine forever, and no, it is not just romantic claptrap -- and anyone who thinks it is rubbish can just shove it, okay!"

Amen. When two people come together with a will to live for Christ and a commitment to grow together, it's a beautiful thing- even if not everyone is celebrating.

I'm putting all things in God's hands. I won't worry.

I'm looking forward to marrying the "autistic doctor child". We'll have such a great life together- even if it takes a while for our happiness to infect certain people.

Jesus is our true rest. These words lifted me up, even with thoughts of the many hours of study ahead.


Tonight's sermon was about keeping the Sabbath. Now, it might seem funny that I intend to work hard, into the wee hours of the morning, after hearing a sermon on keeping the Sabbath, but it's not, really.

Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.
Exodus 20:8-11

Now, the importance of setting aside time to fully embrace God's gift of rest is obvious, but when should we observe the Sabbath? Should we observe it traditionally, as in, from Friday night? Should we keep it on a Sunday, because Christians first worshipped on the first day of the week?

Well, I think, from looking at Jesus' example, we can see that He showed us that the Sabbath is a gift, for us. The Sabbath isn't something we should have to work to observe. It is a preview and reminder of the eternal rest we will have in Jesus when we go to be with Him.

One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. The Pharisees said to him, “Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?” He answered, “Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions.” Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”
Mark 2:23-28

Jesus had a surprising amount to say about the Sabbath. He healed on the Sabbath and generally upset those who held its rigid observance to be of great importance.

Sharing fellowship and delving into God's word over Bible study, going on a wine tour, spending time talking about not much at all, with My Love- all these things I did this week and were great gifts of relaxation as well as being time spent in reflection and praise.

It's important to keep a day to rest each week, but if that day doesn't come, we shouldn't worry- we should just make certain to set aside time next week. I've observed my Sabbath this week. I'll always keep time for family and friends and studying God's word.

Praise God for his commandment to rest!

TheSovietChairman

2 comments:

  1. Sabbath Day is a great day, I never do work on that day tho, just as relax as I can...and keep it Holy! I have been doing that for two months or so! and it is very important for a man to find his forever lover, you did a great job, Evanlino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, smalltiny :). There are great ways to serve God being single, though. Indeed, she's an amazing girl, and I'm so blessed! I get to share a life with her!

    Not everyone should get married. However, I'm bursting with joy :)!

    ReplyDelete